Reno Mayor's Race - Should you vote for Eddie Lorton?

In a mayor’s race, it is not always popular to vote for the challenger. An incumbent mayor like Hillary Schieve has a major advantage and many more resources at her disposal for her mayoral re-election campaign. The primaries showed she had a major lead, but the primaries also had a super low voter turnout.

Today, as we near election day on November 6 here in Reno, Nevada, I pose the question…Should I vote for Eddie Lorton? Mr. Lorton has a saying, “An educated voter is a dangerous voter [for incumbents]”. I thought this was a funny saying, and didn’t get it at first. However, I understand now.

Last Thursday, the city of Reno was lucky to get to witness a Reno Mayoral debate 2018. Mayor Hillary Schieve and Eddie Lorton squared off at the Peppermill and answered citizen submitted question from moderators from the RGJ. A good friend of mine was completely uneducated on the Reno Mayor’s Race 2018, and had heard from neither candidate. He had no bias that I am aware of, and I could have seen him voting either way. Five days after that debate, we grabbed lunch to discuss the entire ballot for the Nevada Elections 2018. He told me that after watching the debate, he thought Eddie Lorton had better answers and that he had decided to vote for him for Reno Mayor 2018.

Before the debates, I was afraid this Reno Mayor’s race would end up being partisan - even though it is a non-partisan race. Hillary would get much of the liberal/Democratic vote because she endorsed Sisolak for Governor, and Hillary Clinton in 2016, and I assumed Eddie would fetch most of the conservative/Republican votes. Now that I see people listening to the debates and hearing what the candidates ideas and visions are, I think Mr. Lorton could win over some of the undecided votes - enough to win.

So to answer my original question, the answer isn’t yes or no, but you should educate yourself on the Reno Mayoral Candidates 2018. I am voting for Mr. Lorton, but that should be obvious because I had planned to run against our current mayor a year ago. Check our Mr. Lorton’s 2022 plan on his website. https://eddielorton.com/reno-2022-plan/

And finally, I want to leave you with a message I posted on Facebook to my friends last week. This is my two cents on the Reno Mayor elections 2018. I wrote this for my friends, but I will share it with you as well. Thanks again for your time, and you may be hearing from me again in 2020.

“Political post alert. If you aren't getting blasted by political ads enough, let me chime in! Specifically, Reno voters. With early voting beginning tomorrow, I would like to ask for your support in voting in for Eddie Lorton for Reno Mayor.

I'd like to explain why if you are interested in a read. If you feel the need to comment, please keep things either factual or respectful, preferably both. I won't be responding to any comments though because I'll be too busy voting or washing my hair.

This is the first time I have been closely and personally involved in a political race. I teetered on the edge of filing and running for mayor myself. In a last minute effort, Eddie Lorton reached out to me before the March filing date. We had lunch and we discussed why we wanted to be the mayor. Although we have different personalities and backgrounds, turns out we have similar visions. Here is mine: "We are a multi-cultural innovative city with a thriving tourism industry, perfect for businesses and families, thanks in part to our access to outdoor activities, specials events, and world-class higher education institutions."

To contrast, here is Hillary's as publish on reno.gov: "We are a vibrant university town known for our outdoor activities, special events, arts and culture and innovative industries."

Hillary and I had a similar meeting (at my request) the previous May because I wanted to ask her why she tried to get veto power over the council and essentially become the president of Reno. First, it took me 8 weeks to get a meeting with her. Then, that meeting was incredibly awkward. Before we could even get into the nuts and bolts of an honest discussion, she was called away because "New York was on the line" and our 12 minute meeting was up.

Last night I was at the mayoral debate at the Peppermill, and both Hillary and Eddie came up to me and said hello. I truly like them both as people, and they both know me by name which is super cool. Neither of them are bad people, but they are vastly different when it comes to how they deal with city issues. Neither of them are perfect, but they are both passionate and believe in their causes.

I have worked downtown for 3 years, and walk Virginia Street five days a week. It is very scary and sad, even at 10 a.m. in the morning on a Tuesday...to the point where I will NOT bring my kids downtown in broad daylight. If anyone would like to experience this, send me a DM and let's take a walk next week. We can go around by the bus stop, then back down Center and end at the library and early vote there.

Downtown has been getting noticeably worse and now its spreading, even as far as my home 3 miles away. Two nights ago we had another stabbing on Virginia Street in front of the Little Nugget. It has been less than 30 days since the last stabbing before that on that block. There has been so much talk of making improvements to homelessness, drug abuse, shelters, affordable housing, etc., but NOTHING is getting noticeably improved. My logic currently is: Hillary has been on the city council for 6 years, and if she couldn't get change in the first 6 years, why do we think she will get it in the next 4?

I strongly believe in shorter term limits as well. 6 years is a long time, 12 even longer, and some ex-council members want to extend it to 24 years. Change is good and is expected in a government such as ours. There needs to be a balance...in the force. Ebb and flow, yin and yang.

I could get into each issue and why I agree or disagree with what should be done, but I'll only do that over beers if you are truly interested, but the main reason I support Eddie is because what we have now isn't working.

Finally, here is a straight list of why I like Eddie Lorton for mayor over the mayor today.


> He may be conservative, but he is supported by the most liberal city council member - Jenny Brekhus.
> He believes in city art, but not at the tax payers' expenses, and only after we have solved for police, fire, public works, safety, city debt, parks and rec, etc. 
> He is looking forward. Hillary keeps looking back. 
> He is super accessible. Hillary is really hard to get in touch with. 
> Hillary takes way too much credit for things that she had little or nothing to do with. I struggle with her honesty. 
> He has plan, and it will actually work I believe. He is pretty upfront and straightforward about it. 
> The current city council is too close of a group and almost always vote the same, minus Brekhus. We more variance in opinions and ideas. The current council is also taking waaaayyyy too much direction from outside special interests. 
> Eddie wants laws to be followed and enforced. I can't emphasize how important this is. Come downtown and I'll show you people breaking laws that are NEVER enforced, then we will finish our walk over at the library where you can early vote.

I've got some more things I could add, but this post seems super long. Anyways, thanks for reading. If anyone has questions, honestly just tag Eddie Lorton in your comment. He responds to almost every single tag because its a priority to him.”

When Can I Vote? - Reno Elections 2018

Voting day is almost here.  The 2018 Reno City Council primaries are less than a month away.  June 12, 2018 is the official voting day where you can help choose the next Reno Mayor, but early voting begins May 26, 2018 in Washoe County.   

It is important to remember that voter turnout in the mid-terms is significantly lower than during years where there is a Presidential election.  This means your vote this year will have more weight and influence towards the future of Reno.   So you should vote!  

Eddie Lorton for Reno Mayor 2018

Reno Mayor Race 2018 Campaign Updates - April 21, 2018

Hello Reno voters.  The city council has many seats up for grabs this year, and the candidates for Reno City Council are now public knowledge. The Reno primary elections are sneaking up, and will be held here in June 2018 - this means early voting will start in May. Now is the time to start researching and learning more about the candidates for Reno City Council, including the Reno Mayoral Race. Below is my opinion and strategy going forward. 

First, I did not file for Reno Mayor in 2018, and am not an official candidate at this time.  I am deferring to a later Reno City Council election and will conduct another exploratory campaign in advance of that and will be sure to let you know when I kick that off.

Next, I am supporting Eddie Lorton for Reno Mayor 2018.  Why? Here is my story.

I decided to run for Reno Mayor originally because I disagree with the current Reno City Council.  I work downtown, and its a become worse than ever due to the lack of efforts by the City Council.  I believe that they are run by lobbyists and special interest groups, and that they don't understand the laws in Nevada and Washoe County, nor what their roles are intended to be, nor the basic needs of the residents of Reno.  They are an isolate group that doesn't represent the city. They show youthful optimism for appearance reasons but lack common sense, use discretionary funds (donate them) to buy votes, and govern like they are a legislative body when, in fact, they are an oversight board over the City Staff.  Our own mayor even tried to manipulate Nevada State Legislation last May to give herself veto power over the other council members, and thus create a "Reno President" position so she would have extreme power and control.  I could make this paragraph 10 pages long, but I will instead be posting more here on this blog in the near future. 

In March 2018, Eddie Lorton and I were gearing up to spend the primaries campaigning against each other.  Reno's elections are a top-two non-partisan election, the incumbent is highly funded and will likely pass the primaries no problem.  Eddie Lorton and I would have been wasting time and money, but we are both reasonable and approachable men. Mr. Lorton reached out to me for a meeting.  We have the same goals, and thus, it made sense for us to work together. We are attempting to shift the Reno City Government in an honest direction.  We both want smarter spending, we don't monopolies in our community, we want better deals and smarter contracts, we want full transparency, and we want the citizens of Reno to stop being fleeced.

Please support Mr. Lorton with me.  Give him a call or shoot him an email.  He is great about responding.  Visit his website to learn more about why Eddie Lorton should be the next Reno Mayor. 

 

BRANDON SIRI ANNOUNCES HE WILL DEFER FILING FOR RENO CITY COUNCIL

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: MARCH 8, 2018


BRANDON SIRI ANNOUNCES HE WILL DEFER FILING FOR RENO CITY COUNCIL


Reno Nevada: “My exploratory campaign for Reno Mayor 2018 has ended.  I plan to defer my campaign to a future election. I have decided the best path forward is to work with candidates who currently share my vision.  I have met with two of them this past year, Mayor Hillary Schieve and Eddie Lorton, to discuss Reno.  While I appreciate the kindness and service of Mayor Schieve, Mr. Lorton’s values and interests are much closer to what my campaign was about.  I believe that Mr. Lorton has his thumb on the pulse of the Reno economy and understands what businesses in our community need to thrive.  I encourage all voters to look up Mr. Lorton and learn more about his mission and beliefs.”

“Whoever wins, I hope that they will fix the disfunction at City Hall, increase police numbers and community safety, crackdown on drug dealers and substance abuse, work with Washoe County to address the rising homeless situation, and get smarter about the City’s assets and budget.” 
 
“In closing, new fresh ideas are the way forward, but we cannot forget Reno’s roots in the process.  Common sense politics is what we need right now – not politicians.  We need a City Council who are not puppets to special interest groups and who understand and abide by the letter of the law.”

For comprehensive information on the former candidate, please visit BrandonSiri.com.  

For Media Inquiries:
Brandon Siri                        
775-221-3895
SiriforMayor@gmail.com
 

Coverage of the Announcement

Many thanks to the local media outlets for the coverage.  There are a few more than this that I will attempt to track and update this page. Links below:

KRNV: http://mynews4.com/news/local/brandon-siri-announces-campaign-for-reno-mayor

KTVN: http://www.ktvn.com/story/35071623/brandon-siri-announces-candidacy-for-reno-city-mayor-in-2018-election 

KOLO: http://www.kolotv.com/content/news/Reno-casino-executive-Siri-launches-campaign-for-Reno-mayor-418367673.html

KKOH: http://www.kkoh.com/2017/04/05/reno-mayor-has-a-challenger/ (also, tomorrow 4/4/17, I will have an interview air on KOH - the first of the campaign)

FOX11: http://foxreno.com/news/local/brandon-siri-announces-campaign-for-reno-mayor

 

BRANDON SIRI ANNOUNCES CANDIDACY FOR MAYOR OF RENO 2018

“It is with great enthusiasm and excitement to announce that I am running for Reno Mayor.  I am grateful for the early support I have received from family and friends, and optimistic and energized by the outpouring of support I am receiving from the business community. This will be a historic election as Reno turns 150 years old, and will be pivotal in determining the future of Reno.”